Saturday, June 6, 2015

A thought on mortality rate

I always know my life expectancy is supposed to be shorter than the general population. This is the first time I saw it quantified.
Individuals with serious mental illness (SMI), including schizophrenia, schizoaffective and bipolar disorder have 1.5–2.5 times the mortality risk of the general population1–3 and a 10–20 year reduction in life expectancy4 with the majority of the excess deaths being due to natural causes.1
http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournals.org/content/41/3/644.full

Personally, I believe the differences should be bigger because some could have died before the diagnosis were applied. For instance, I could have taken the shortcut to escape all the non-existing stress during the psychotic onset when not even my shrink knew what was going on in my head since I didn't share it with him.

But since the onset was eons ago , the stats remained relevant. Since the majority of excess death were due to natural causes, if I am this kind of excess, may God bless me a quick and painless death. Amen.

P.S. Excess death? Never heard of this expression before. 

No comments: