Sunday, February 5, 2012

Psychotic without insurance?

I was really going towards the institutionalizable grade of psychotic back last fall.  Yet, first time since my onset, I didn't have insurance and didn't have a psychiatrist in NYC.

After a whole lot of running around, I finally was able to see a psychiatrist and get my Seroquel at the "Psychiatric Walk-In clinic" at the Metropolitan Hospital Center.  (If you are going to see a psychiatrist, please remember the "Psychiatric" part of it and make sure you get there by 7:30 or so to ensure you can get an appointment!)

For self-pay patients who don't have insurance, there are different options available to help you get a prorated rate.

If you haven't gotten your Medicaid, MetroPlus or HHC options up and running at the time when you need to fill your prescription, I will suggest you to fill it in the pharmacy inside of the hospital.  This way, once you get your prorated status ready, you can go to the patient account and discuss the plausible refund for the full amount you had to pay in advance.  (So I was told though I haven't done it before myself.)

Good luck and stay healthy in NYC.

Unfortunately, if you do need help, help is available however in lack of options you might feel!

No comments: