Friday, June 10, 2011

At the entrance of 110 street subway station

My friend witha broken foot was supposed to have her stitches taken out yesterday.  So I came over to keep her company the day before.

To get to her place, I had to take the number 1 train all the way from 110th and Broadway to 131 street where there is disability access available.

Though I usually avoid getting in and out of public transportation during rush hour, I made it to take off from home around 5:30-6 o'clock-- the worst time possible.

While the stops surrounding 110th and Broadway do not have either escalator or elevators, I didn't have the intention to take a bus to reach another train station, which might or might not grant me with functional disability access.

So, just as Mrs. dalloway decided to get the flowers herself, Ratprincess decided to get the body down to the platform herself... though it ain't like there is anyone else who could really get this body of mine down... 

As I was at the entrance, I saw an army of people climbing up from the station to reach the street level....

I hesitated for a second or two before taking the first step down... 

People were nice and smiling though in a steamy hot day as such ...

Two steps later, I thought to myself again... and might have stopped for a bit on that particular stair...

"Well, maybe I shall wait till all these people have gotten out before I start attempting to move down so that I won't cause a traffic jam?"

Yet, on a second thought, well, by the time all these people cleared up, another train would have arrived--- unloading a different group of people trying to get out of the station.

Might as well keep on trying to move myself down?

Alhough I have kept the majority of my thinking internal, there was some memory leak and I heard these few words out of my mouth... in auditory format...

"Na.... by the time I get down...."

This nice lady heard my murmuring and commented as she continued to move up, "It will come again (and there will be one for you)."

I tried to explain to her what exactly I meant while continuing to move down... only to find that...

By the time the explanation came out of my mouth, I was already facing more and more new faces trying to get out of the station.

Though I could have spare some part of my cognitive processing to stop the words from coming out, I dedicated the entire bandwidth to handling my movements and pain control instead.

For them, who knew not of what had happened moments earlier, they saw a woman with a cane moving slowly downstairs talking to God knows what...

"Just that by the time everyone gets out, there will be another train and more people trying to get out."

In my imagination, each every of them heard a word or two as they passed me by.  Nobody knew exactly what I was talking about though, for those who had my existence entered their consciousness, such would be the experience shared by them.... encoded into the long term memory or not...

"On the way out of the subway station at 110th, a self-talking Asian female on a cane trying to get down to the subway station at the speed of slow and stop passed me by."

So it concludes: "At the entrance of 110 street subway station" where something happened or not though quite a few words came out of it. 8-O lol

No comments: