Monday, December 14, 2009

Quotes from Coding in Grounded Theory Practice

Charmaz, Kathy (1999). Constructing grounded theory: a practical guide through qualitative analysis.

Quotes from Chapter 3: Coding in Grounded Theory Practice

Check the following link for an alternative version of the paper
http://www.colorado.edu/ibs/pb/thornberry/socy5031/pdfs/CharmazGroundedtheory.pdf

Dey (1999): 

"There is a difference between an open mind and an empty head."

Verbatim of an individual with Lupus erythematosus:

"If you have lupus, I mean one day it's my liver; one day it's my joints' one day it's my head, and it's like people really think you're a hypochondriac if you keep complaining about different ailments... It's like you don't want to say anything because people are going to start thinking, you know, 'God, don't go near her, all she is-is complaining about this.' And I think that's why I never say anything because I feel like everything I have is related one way or another to the lupus but most of the people don't know I have lupus, and even those that do are not going to believe that ten different ailments are the same thing."  Page 52

A quote from Charmaz, 1991:

"A desire to recapture the past reflects yearning for a lost self.  That yearning results from grieving for accumulated losses from illness.  Here, the person defines losses and acknowledges illness.  Though she writes that she learned to live moment by moment after her stroke, poet May Sarton simultaneously longed for her past self: "Now I am frightfully lonely because I am not my self.  I can't see a fried for over a half-hour without feeling as though my mind were draining away like air rushing from a balloon'. (1988, P. 18)

The sorrow for a past self increase when people believe that they might not reclaim it.  Even after trying to wait out illness or treatment, regaining the past self and recapturing the past may remain elusive.  Sarton suggests this elusiveness when she writes that 'to manage such a passive waiting life for so many months I have had to bury my real self-and now realize that bringing back that real self is going to be even more difficult than it was to bury it'. (1988, p. 78)

A quote about preconceived notions (P. 68):

"You cannot assume what is in someone's mind-particularly if he or she does not tell you."

"If you reframe participants' statements to fit a language of intention, you are forcing the data into preconceived categories-- yours, not theirs."

"A fine line exists between interpreting data and imposing a preexisting frame on it."

No comments: