Saturday, March 12, 2011

Control

Went to see a neurologist yesterday in the hospital.  In the waiting hall, we all had our eyes on TV, watching the unfortunate devastation in Japan and counting down on the time when the tsunami  might hit Taiwan.... somewhere between 5:30 and 6:00 PM depending on the location.

You see, due to the magnitude of the shock, the waves were taking their time migrating through the pacific ocean... thus the alert issued throughout the pacific region.

On TV, they were also talking about... with all these quakes all around recently, would Taiwan be the next especially where there was just the report of another earthquake in Hawaii?  Some also discussed the possibility of the reawakening of the 大屯山... a nearby volcano that's been napping for quite some while.

Anyways, regarding the tsunami, since there is nothing human can do, all that could be done was to evacuate people from the coastal area as the waves slowly drove...

Although I have lived through typhoon warnings in my entire life, this is the first time to be living through this thing called tsunami warning.... sort of reminding me of the last wave...

Reminding me even more, the day when I was at ER, knowing that there was natural disaster everywhere on the outside, riots and wars.  A day or two before officially institutionalized, I waited there patiently for it to get to me.

In the meanwhile, there was a total backlog in the que for the doctor I was scheduled to see... an hour or two...

As a result, many of us, waiting, were pondering.... "Would I get to see the doctor before the tsunami hits?"

Ended up, by around 5:30 something, I got to see the neurologist... in search of an anatomical answer to my condition.

At some point, the doctor told me to show him how I walked...

So I did my aka walk... the big bad bug looking kind of walk and the kind of walk that looks as if I were a puppet on the move maneuvered by a novice who holds the strings for the first time...

Among many things the doctor said, one thing that struck me the most was...

"Wow... your motor control is gone."

Interesting... Never in a million year would I have conceived of a description as such for my current condition...

In a state of global humanly incontrollable, this formal control freak pondered again...

The illusion of control?

No comments: