Monday, October 27, 2008

Contrast

Interesting contast between the voices of tenor and baritone in the presentation of Winterreise Rast", "Frühlingstraum, "Einsamkeit".

Peter Schreier (Tenor)


Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau (Baritone)

"Rast"

"Frühlingstraum"

"Einsamkeit"



"Rast"
http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=11887

Nun merk' ich erst, wie müd' ich bin,
Da ich zur Ruh' mich lege:
Das Wandern hielt mich munter hin
Auf unwirtbarem Wege.
Die Füße frugen nicht nach Rast,
Es war zu kalt zum Stehen;
Der Rücken fühlte keine Last,
Der Sturm half fort mich wehen.

In eines Köhlers engem Haus
Hab' Obdach ich gefunden;
Doch meine Glieder ruh'n nicht aus:
So brennen ihre Wunden.
Auch du, mein Herz, in Kampf und Sturm
So wild und so verwegen,
Fühlst in der Still' erst deinen Wurm
Mit heißem Stich sich regen!

English Translation

Now I first notice how weary I am
As I lie down to rest;
Wandering had sustained me
As I walked a desolate road.
My feet do not ask for rest,
It was too cold to stand still;
My back felt no burden,
The storm helped me blow along.

In a coal-burner's narrow hut
I have found shelter.
Still, my limbs cannot rest,
So fiercely my wounds burn.
You too, my heart, in struggles and storm
So wild and so bold,
Only now in the quiet do you feel the sharp sting
of the worm that lives within you!

Frühlingstraum /Dream of Spring
Lyrics from http://www.arcadiaplayers.org/sound/fruhlingstraum.html

(German)
Ich träumte von bunten Blumen,
So wie sie wohl blühen im Mai;
Ich träumte von grünen Wiesen,
Von lustigem Vogelgeschrei.

Und als die Hähne krähten,
Da ward mein Auge wach;
Da war es kalt und finster,
Es schrien die Raben vom Dach.

Doch an den Fensterscheiben,
Wer malte die Blätter da?
Ihr lacht wohl über den Träumer,
Der Blumen im Winter sah?

Ich träumte von Lieb um Liebe,
Von einer schönen Maid,
Von Herzen und von Küssen,
Von Wonne und Seligkeit.

Und als die Hähne krähten,
Da ward mein Herze wach;
Nun sitz' ich hier alleine
Und denke dem Traume nach.

Die Augen schließ' ich wieder,
Noch schlägt das Herz so warm.
Wann grünt ihr Blätter am Fenster?
Wann halt' ich mein Liebchen im Arm?

(English)
I dreamed of many-colored flowers,
The way they bloom in May;
I dreamed of green meadows,
Of merry bird calls.

And when the roosters crowed,
My eye awakened;
It was cold and dark,
The ravens shrieked on the roof.

But on the window panes -
Who painted the leaves there?
I suppose you'll laugh at the dreamer
Who saw flowers in winter?

I dreamed of love reciprocated,
Of a beautiful maiden,
Of embracing and kissing,
Of joy and delight.

And when the roosters crowed,
My heart awakened;
Now I sit here alone
And reflect on the dream.

I close my eyes again,
My heart still beats so warmly.
When will you leaves on the window turn green?
When will I hold my love in my arms?


"Einsemkeit"
http://www.recmusic.org/lieder/get_text.html?TextId=11809

Wie eine trübe Wolke
Durch heit're Lüfte geht,
[Wann]1 in der Tanne Wipfel
Ein mattes Lüftchen weht:

So zieh ich meine Straße
Dahin mit trägem Fuß,
Durch helles, frohes Leben,
Einsam und ohne Gruß.

Ach, daß die Luft so ruhig!
Ach, daß die Welt so licht!
Als noch die Stürme tobten,
War ich so elend nicht.

English Translation

As a dark cloud
Passes through clear skies,
When a faint breeze wafts
Through the tops of the pine trees:

So I make my way
With heavy steps,
Through bright, joyful life,
Alone and ungreeted.

Ah, the air is so calm,
Ah, the world is so bright!
When the tempests were raging,
I was not so miserable.

No comments: