Friday, October 24, 2008

Manhattan blocks

I missed the free shuttle at 1:40 that goes from Columbia University to the medical campus this afternoon by 1 minute....

In order for me to get to see my shrink on time... a logical alternative would be for me to take either the subway or the bus... if not... taxi...

Yet, I took it to the road... for... 50 something blocks... nowadays... I could walk... in addition to saving me the 2 dollars bus fare in the era of global economic down turn... (8-O lol)

So I walked... sometimes uphills, other times downhills and, at times, on flat road... from 116th to 168th street... a total of at least 52 Manhattan blocks.... took me a good hour or so...

While moving steadily on my two feet... jaywalking at times when opportunities knock... the memories of the past came flashing back....

How many times did I miss the closing hours of the New York Public Library while attempting to hurry to no avail across the street?

How long did it last for a Manhattan block to take me 4-5 minutes to cover--- perhaps much longer shall there be hills involved?

Then, to the never ending moments of memories flashing back I thought...

Such shall be the indication of my physical disability invoked PTSD....

So they sang...

Last thing I remember, I was
Running for the door
I had to find the passage back
To the place I was before
'Relax,' said the night man,
'We are programmed to receive.
You can check-out any time you like,
But you can never leave!'



No comments: