Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Free audio books

I have mentioned time and again my love for the New York Public Library and its collection of recording materials including audio books.

Recently, I have encountered technical difficulties using OverDrive Media Console, the player of NYPL digital recording contents, to play audio books or, more accurately, to perform windows media security update when it is Windows Media Player 11 installed on the computer.

Since I did not get too much useful information from the tech support of the OverDrive, I decided to look else where for free audio books.

This is how I came across LibriVox, which turns books in the public domain into audio format and distributes these audio books over the Internet for free. The media files are stored with archive.org.

So far, I have finished listening to "The Iliad" and "Odyssey" by Homer recorded by LibriVox volunteers.

Pretty cool... I have to say....

No comments: