Monday, May 5, 2008

Iliad, where is thy horsey?

I finally finished listening to The Iliad by Homer today....

The end of Book 24 marked the funeral of Hector, the hero of Troy, whose father Priam finally got a hold of his body from Achilles.

Along the way, I kept on thinking that... it is so sad... all the mortals losing their life in warfare.

Yet, as the book ended, I found the biggest question I had in my head was....

"Where is the horsey?"

And I asked my boss... "Where was the horsey in the Iliad?" or "I did not hear the horsey?!"

Achilles Slays HectorI imagined it might have been in the book where Achilles defeated the Trojans back to their town driven by the grief and wrath over Patroclus' death? Or, maybe in the book where Hector got slain?

Could I have missed the whole horsey thing in day dream? 8-O

Finally, I decided to do a google search and realized that...

I am not the only person who finishes up The Iliad not finding a trace of the Horsey... or the Trojan horse... (see Grandpa's question, another question)

The matter of the fact is that... The Iliad ended before the end of the Trojan war--- and that's why the horsey was no where to be find in the book or epic poem "The Iliad."

Apparently, the Trojan horse was described in Virgil's Aeneid and, in Homer, it was described somewhere in Odyssey.... (check wikipedia for citation)

What a thing was this, too, which that mighty man [Odysseus] wrought and endured in the carven horse, where in all we chiefs of the Argives were sitting, bearing to the Trojans death and fate!

But come now,change thy theme, and sing of the building of the horse of wood, which Epeius made with Athena's help, the horse which once Odysseus led up into the citadel as a thing of guile, when he had filled it with the men who sacked Ilium .


Speaking of barking at the wrong tree...

Or... looking at the wrong place for that Horsey.... lol

No comments: