Sunday, May 4, 2008

Prisoners

I guess we all are prisoners in our own capacities.... although some might prefer to think themselves as being free of all confinements.

Speaking from my own experiences, prisons could manifest themselves in all different forms.

Being locked up in the cuckoo's nest, going in voluntarily while the cups could come chasing after you if coming out without permission... that shall fit the prototypical kinda definition for imprisonment.

More loosely speaking...

Some of us have been the prisoners of pains--- regardless of the etiology... we live day by day wishing the pains would eventually go away.

There are also those of us who are the prisoners of our mobility... we try our best to move forward, inch by inch-- with or without canes, with or without wheel chairs, with or without back supports-- be it psychosomatic or not...

In an era of Prozac Nation, many of us have been the prisoners of depression, all that we could do is to push one day at a time and think of one positive thought at a time till the clouds finally pass and the sun coming out shining again.

Of course, there are also those of us, who amount to, perhaps, 1% of the population (depending on the citation). We are the prisoners of conditions that allows us to see, hear, feel and experience things beyond reality, or, we are psychotic.

While, in some context, there is less we could do about our imprisonments, in others, choices, we have more…

We all have been the prisoner of our own pursuit... for instance, those working on their dissertation often see no light and eventually forgetting it is the tunnel they are in... (at least for me when I was working on my dissertation) Yet, nobody had put a knife against my head telling me to complete that process... It was my choice.

At the same time, we all have been prisoners of love--- mourning, groaning and struggling in the face of love. Yet, whatever you say, it is our choice to love.

Now that I have identified the kinds of prisoner I have been... I shall be working on figuring out what to do about my imprisonments.

What about you yourself?

No comments: