Saturday, May 17, 2008

My seemingly normal head

The second day I arrived at home, I made a point of going to see a psychiatrist to find someone to monitor my head for me.

When I got to the hospital, the doctor was still seeing patients in the teens or the early 20s while I am number 50.

So I sat there continuing to read Frankl’s book…

At some point, I took off my back support and this other lady waiting asked me this question: “Is it for the back?”

“Yes.” So I replied.

I told her all about what the back support could do and eventually started talking about my sensitivity to the perception of pains as well as the theory of neurotransmitters that might have added much more of my painful suffering.

At some point, she made this comment, “You look really normal though. Must be too tense.”

It is really funny to be hearing other people waiting to see a psychiatrist telling me now normal I look.

I replied with a smile, “Can’t help it. Just well endowed in some capacities.” Lol

Finally it was my time to see the shrink…

Since this is the first time I saw him, I told him about the different kinds of labeling people have assigned to me… schizophrenia, schizoaffective… propensity to depression.

He said, “Well, just a name.”

I, then, informed him of the drugs I am taking and the dosage…. with the little by the way info at the end of the sentence…

“By the way, I was just institutionalized early in February.”

“Stabilized?” He asked.

“Yes and strangely speedy….” I replied.

“You seem to be adjusting very well.” He commented.

“Can’t help it… just gotta do it.” I said.

“Well, that’ how your body is made up of… Got family history?”

“Yes,” I replied, “Two uncles with schizophrenia and a few aunts with depression.”

These are but some of the brief conversation that I could recall….

One thing that I found most funny is the fact that….

While it is now fairly normal to be me… it seems to be a recurrent theme that I seem normal to people… then… perhaps, I am just normal…

No comments: