Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Another day in nicotine withdrawal

Today is yet another day for me to be in a seemly eternal state called nicotine withdrawal...

So far, I have smoked only 3 cigarettes today....

The first was the smoker's first smoke in the morning.... at around 8:00 o'clock...

Despite the sense of discomfort, I was able to make it till about 1:00 o'clock, 5 hours later, to take the second one...

It was not until around 7 or 7:30 did I take the third cigarette of the day.... over 6 hours after....

Within the 6+ hours between the 2nd and 3 rd smokes, I actually did quite a bit of reading on maximum likelihood estimation, attended the class on item response theory, went to do some grocery shopping, and, came home to do my swinging exercise...

Since I started to be in a constant state of withdrawal, sometimes, time seems to be going much slower....

Yet, I find the following two things to be fairly useful in helping me killing time...

The first is the act of trying to following equations such as following.... and, of course, when my head is capable of concentrating despite of the withdrawal...



The swinging exercise I do is the second activity that seems to help me putting the sensation of withdrawal away....

At the same time, although I have been trying to go to sleep early, I seem to have some trouble falling asleep recently... which makes me wonder whether this has something to do with the potential neurochemical imbalance introduced by my cutting down on the nicotine intake...

Eating mucho mucho mas is one other intensified propensity of mine... I guess this goes along with the common experiences shared by quitters...

In general, I think the severity of my withdrawal symptoms is gradually going down....

The funny thing about them withdrawal symptoms involving the sense of tightening sensations is that... my head would be so very tense and I would feel that my head is really tense that there doesn't seem to be room for my hallucinations and delusions when the withdrawal is bad.... 8-O lol

In addition, during the day time, strangely, I hardly sense the psychological or behavioral kinda withdrawal symptoms... However, when the night falls, the desire for me pick up a smoke absolutely gets far stronger.... such observations seem to coincide with the fact that I used to smoke far more in the night when I am along in my room....

I am also fairly happy about the fact that I would have smoked for only 4 cigarettes by the end of today...

In addition, there will be 2 more smokes left in this pack for tomorrow... which means... this pack of cigarettes would have lasted me for 5 days... Something I possibly might not have done in my entire life... for a pack of cigarettes usually could last for no more than a day... not to mentione 5 days.... 8-O lol

So... as I was walking back home... with antenna over my head searching for other smokers' in the vicinity so that I could get some nicotine replenishment through second hand smoking....

I thought to myself...

How could I approach the day after today?

And, I thought... for the sake of my mental health, I think I am going to switch to ultra-light and stayed on the 4-cigarette schedule for a few days more... maybe till the end of the week...

From then on, I could further work on cutting down to 3, 2, and 1 smoke a day... till, eventually, hitting that big 0....

No comments: