Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Nicotine, Serotonin and Dopamine

I don't know about you. However, this question just occurred to me a bit earlier that....

OK... it sounds like a pretty good theory that the reduced level of nicotine resulted in the lowered level of dopamine in the reward pathway....

This has something to do with my being depressed.... no nothing ain't so rewarding no more...

Yet, it suddenly occurred to me that while psychosis is commonly linked to L-Dopa and depression associated with low serotonin level....

How on earth does nicotine, Serotonin and Dopamine, together, creative in me the existential vacuous state of being?

Out of curiosity, I did a bit of search on relevant literature and found the following article....

"Depression and self-medication with nicotine: the modifying influence of the dopamine D4 receptor gene." Link

Based on my understanding-- dopamine D4 receptor, depressive people and smoking

  1. The rewarding properties of nicotine are largely mediated by its effects on dopamine transmission
  2. The dopamine D4 receptors are highly loaded in the reward center
  3. Depressive people with certain variant of the dopamine D4 receptor gene might have the propensity to use smoking to stimulate themselves and to reduce negative affect

So what is the role of serotonin?

I haven't found any specific journal article yet daueber... therefore it doesn't mean such knowledge doesn't exist...

I assume-- conventional wisdom says... there is a linkage between low Serotonin level and depression....

Then, the next question I have is that... so how do all these interrelationships have anything to do with my psychotic symptoms?

Based on what I gathered from some other articles I encountered... them experts are not quite sure which variant of Dopamine D4 receptor gene (DRD4) might be related to schizophrenia shall such a variant really exist...

One thing I think they are much more sure is da relationship between L-Dopa and things like schizophrenia...

Interesting to ponder about all them things related with the naming called Dopamine, be them receptors or neurotransmitters... It is sort of like, I guess, all Asian are Asian except for Taiwanese are not Japanese or Korean.... 8-O lol

Just some schizoaffective layperson's mumble jumble... lol

No comments: