Wednesday, July 30, 2008

英英美代子 and constructivist learning

It was over 2 months ago when I started to swing... again, what I coin as 英英美代子 and what some might term as 自發功.

One thing the doctor kept on insisting is something like--- Do not try to learn from the external sources about it. Essentially, just do it and learn from doing it.

I felt very awkward throughout this time because, I guess, learning for me has mostly rely on learning through research rather than doing, with the so-to-speak "research" essentially involves the search of published literature through which understandings are established and used to derive cognitive constructs about related experiences. In this sense, the aka newly derived "cognitive constructs" would be what I would call learning.

The irony is that...

Well... haven’t I been trained to be a doctor in education by an institution that prides itself as the official spokesman for John Dewey and promotes this thing call constructivist learning approach?

In addition, didn't I spend a good chunk of my golden years trying to apply "mental model theory" about human cognition to study how people learn through exploration etc?

If I have been such a firm believer or an advocate for the constructivist approach and its related cognitive theories, how could it be so hard for me to following the doctor's recommendation--- just do it?

Doesn't it mean that... I didn't really learn it...

Even worse, could I have just faked it all along so well that I got myself even so very blinded--fooled? (Gees... I honestly thought I was being honest... 8-O lol)

In other words, forget about that line 1 or line 2 thing, I had deserved that doctor degree not... for I didn't really understand the thesis of my own dissertation.

Yet, it was the other day when I was speaking with my buddy did I realize that--- despite the limited understanding, still, I have about this 英英美代子 thing...

I am, though, started to have a little bit of understanding about the phenomena of my 自發英英美代子功....

I did received a lot of feedback and comments from the doctor-- including the key concepts of 氣 and its associated forces.

In other words, much of the learning occurred through the experiences themselves and the associated reflections.

Then, it was last night when I went back to check on my youtube account and the many clips I took....

The movements might be different but I saw only the indications of 氣 moving....

As I commented to myself.... the multiple manifestation of the same principle...

I realized that... some kind of learning might have been constructed... be a model formed yet or not...

Then, I thought to myself.... thank God... now I learn how to learn constructively, sort of, and, I could see a model forming....

Now I don't think I have to give back that diploma for that doctoral degree.... (or am I, to myself, lying?) 8-O lol


(Such marks another example of why I feel 99.99999…% of the times, I have no idea what I am talking about.... It is because what I thought I understand often turns out to be misunderstanding as a result of my congenital ignorance… lol)

No comments: