Thursday, September 16, 2010

胭脂坊? 8-O 田子坊 (Tian Zi Fang)

Went to meet up with this friend in Shanghai one day....

It was almost at the end of my stay in Shanghai.... and I had visited quite a few places based on the recommendation of the thousand-year-old tour guide my brother-in-law lent me..

So she asked, "Have you every been to yān-zhī-fāng?"

In my mind, I thought... "胭脂坊? Sounds as if....  somewhere... 燈紅酒綠...紙醉金迷... luxury and dissipation... Maybe somewhere like the Score?! And, only 6 o'clock something... 8-O  No wonder an established business woman now... not like someone like me from the Ivory Tower..."

So the taxi took us around and, as we got out...

Oops.... not the 胭脂坊 in my overly active imagination depicted in the clip below...






No 胭脂坊... rather, it is... oops... 田子坊 or Tian Zi Fang.  lol

Tian Zi Fang is located on Taikang Lu (泰康路).


檢視較大的地圖

Accordingly, the allies (弄堂) and the Shikumen (Stone Gate or 石庫門) architectural style are two of the main characteristics of 田子坊 (Tian Zi Fang).  Although the buildings might have been restored, many of the old brick houses still maintain their old style... (please check the following link for more info on 弄堂 and the Shikumen "石庫門")

Tian Zi Fang is also known as the "Art Street" because many artists and designers have set up their boutiques here.  You can also find cafes all over the places.

In addition, some of these houses remain to be residential... If you take a peep, you would be able to see the living arrangement of these residents.

So my friend had me told...

"If you like Xintiandi (新天地), you must visit Tian Zi Fang (田子坊) because, in Tian Zi Fang, these are real houses converting into shops rather than like those in Xintiandi... so well refurbished that you might come to think these are new establishments built in old style."

Personally speaking, what I would say is that... it is true that Xintiandi (新天地) vs Tian Zi Fang (田子坊) is like Julie v.s. Carol as depicted in the clip below...


Or... on a second thought... maybe the analogy is not all that appropriate... 8-O

However, how would you know what the differences are if you have not checked out them both?

Following are some pictures I took when in 田子坊 (Tian Zi Fang) with the background music... the beginning of an old Shanghai song... "等著你回來"

Video version:


Slideshow version:



(And, by the way, nope... that's not yours ratprincess in the picture... However, if you would like to outsource da Asian beauty to be your pedastrian #1, I could be the agent... 8-O lol)

No comments: