Friday, September 10, 2010

Cruising on Hangang River: Moonlight Rainbow Fountain

When I went on the cruise on Han River, I was only looking forward an ordinary boat ride that would allow me to view the city in the night.....






So I was sitting on the boat, looking at the city with the light.... doing the same thing the guy was doing at the beginning of this clip... 吸收天地精華....

How peaceful!  How zen!  How gemütlich!

Gotta absorb all that I can!



Then, there came the highlight of the trip.... the the light show and water dance-- also known as the moonlight Rainbow Fountain from the cruise over Hangang River.... an absolutely pleasant surprise....

The Moonlight Rainbow Fountain is said to be the longest bridge fountain in the world.  It is installed along the Banpo Bridge (반포대교 or 盤浦大橋)...



(Gotta appologize for the quality of the video at times because my sister's camera has this strange habit of refocusing itself...)

Accordingly, the fountain is made with with nearly 10,000 nozzels on both sides of the bridge and shoots out 190 tons of water per minute.... wow...

Thank God... the water was pumped up directly from the river.... and... goes right be to the river...

The cruise did stop for sometime when we were approaching the Banpo bridge.  This was when I took this clip...

At around the end of the water/light show, I was with my friend and her son inside the cabinet.  When I realized that... apparently... the boat was moving towards the bridge...

So I told my friend and her son...

Since I walked much slower then them, they have already ran to the front of the boat as I was still trying to walk towards that direction....

All of a sudden... I felt.... something like rain or storm coming down..... and thought... "OMG... typhoon is here...."  Instinctively, I hid behind till the storm was gone...

Ended up, as the boat was turning around, it went under the waterfall.... and... those who did not hide for cover fast enough got all drenched...

As for me, I happened to stay dry not because I was able to hide out fast enough... but because I can not run and my top walking speed is much slower.... (Guess, this accounts for the benefit of being an handicapped?! 8-O lol )

Getting to the cruise is easy... I believe that I had boarded at the Jamsil Dock.  One way of getting to the Jamsil Dock is to get off at the Sincheon (yes, with an e... not Sinchon that is on the same line next to the Hongik Univ) station on the green line or line 2.  This stop is southern to Hangang River and one stop away for the Olympic Sports Complex.

Onces you get out of the subway station, simply move towards the direction of Hangang Park.... The riverside park is within walking distance from the subway station although it might be a 10-15 minute walk depending on your speed.

Once you enter the Riverside Park, look for the establishment with the C& sigh by the water... This is where you can buy tickets and board the cruise.

The trip I took took off at around 7:30 PM and lasted for around 90 minutes, which not only allowed me to see the city in the night but also the Moonlight Rainbow Fountain in action.


If I remember correctly, it costs something like 12,000 won (yet, don't quote me...) as of Aug. 17th, 2010.  I was told that there were two other types of cheaper cruises available... except for they all were sold out and... they don't go as far as the Banpo bridge.  Shall anyone ask for my opinions, I would strongly recommend the 90-minute cruise after sunset.... except for... simply my humble opinion.... (Of course, I assume, you could always find people who might see things different...)

Found some pictures this guy took for the Moonlight Rainbow Fountain.... Nice pictures and think I might share them with you...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68558939@N00/sets/72157622223020275/show/

I would have loved to go by the Banpo bridge, the park or during the day to see the fountain and take some pictures myself... except for... unfortunately, not enough time.... @#$%$#*

No comments: