Monday, September 27, 2010

無緣の洋菜凍

I always remember this 洋菜凍 experience....

I was really young... don't even know whether I was in the elementary school yet or not...

One day, grandma decided to make 洋菜凍... sort of like jelly...

The process is simple.

You boil 洋菜 (agar) for a long time till it all melt, you add brown sugar, and, you let it cool.

This is what agar looks like.


Once it gets cool, the liquid turned jelly.

Since the pot was boiling hot, grandma left the pot in a bigger pot filled with cold water.

It was the old time.  You don't get to have dessert often.

I was waiting so impatiently and I watched the pot of agar so attentively...

It was cooling down but the speed was simply too slow... as if it was taking forever....

I sat there staring at the pot and I decided to pour water to the side to speed up the cooling off process... carefully... carefully... till, at some point, uncarefully... uncarefully...

And, oops, I poured the water into the pot of agar...

So they say... once the cooked agar touches cold water... it won't jellify and won't form 凍.

I might have run away after my mistake...

I might have told grandma what I did...

What happened to the 洋菜凍...

No longer do I remember any of it... other than...

I worked too hard to get the best thing in the entire world spoilt... my 無緣の洋菜凍....

So they say... 情深緣淺...



(Did't even know how traumatized I was by my 無緣の洋菜凍 until today.  Think I am gonna go to the market and make myself some 有緣の洋菜凍 now.... 8-O lol)

Sort of reminding me of... the moral of the lesson...


8-O lol

No comments: