Friday, September 11, 2009

Academic pursuit

Funny how Charlie's comment came right after my question about da thing called career...

As I was taking a shower, I revisited this thought of academic pursuits...

There was once upon a time when academic pursuits were something to die for.

Believe it or not, I even brought in piles of papers in to the psychiatric wards concerning topics such as information processing theory or cognitive load... Of course, over drugged as I was... every time I touch the paper, I could never move, perhaps, beyond a sentence or two before I started to sort of dosed off... 8-O lol sigh

The second time when I was institutionalised, I was running my dissertation research all the way into the cuckoo's nest and, after coming out, I went right back to that....

Just two simple examples to show how I was once so aspired or inspired by academic pursuits.

Today, life seems to have lead me to a diverse path...

There is nothing wrong with academic pursuits. Maybe I will eventually try out writing a journal article or two when the time comes. Except for, today, it is my belief that anything I could contribute, somebody would be able to do it, too. Sort of like the implications of social loafing theory... I guess... 8-O lol

In addition, the one country, two governments policy of my body and mind doesn't really grant me too much slack to traverse a path I thought I would have chosen.... This is especially true when I walk as a cripple and think as a retard... and live, legally, a lost soul in limbo... 8-O lol sigh

In other words, all lay out on the table, with the concept of synchronicity in mind, I guess... a logical option for an irrational mind... It ain't like I am saying anyone should pursue academically not...

I do love learning and, however I might get beaten up, I still have this stubborn habit to learn...

So I thought something this good friend of mine had my told almost 20 years back...

My girlfriend was one of those hard working or smart students who gets to be the number 1 or 2 students in college.

One day, I found out that she was number 1 again in the previous semester and got the scholarship again. So I said to her...

"OMG, you are so amazing! How do you do that?!!"

So responded my good friend, "人各有志".... (ouch) or, in English, perhaps, "Every man has his dream and direction."

20 years or so ago when I heard so... I felt.... ouch...

About 20 years later, after all the searching and unfolding... I thought of it... and I ponder... maybe and hopefully it ain't so bad... 人各有志... at least for today... I guess...

No comments: