Saturday, September 19, 2009

Dial up vs gigabyte network

Was talking with this friend of mine today... about gym use... and he started talking about how rental car companies provides services differently... as an analogy I guess...

Except for... by the time him finished with how the general rental works, I was already experiencing cognitive overload from his description of how the rental car works, and, the discrepancies between my mental model about the discussion and what he was talking about.

This scenario has the same effect as the scenarios that occur so very often at work when people go on and on describing things which would get me all confused.

The experience I had... it was as if the head was starting to freeze....

As he continued, I was thinking to myself... "Information overload... memory dump..." except for I am not quite sure how to dump da memory in my head... 8-O lol

This reminds me of the things I observed often on this laptop.... I would have multiple browsers open with each running scripts to automate Mafia War related tasks such as collecting boosts and do jobs.... Given the old age of the machine, the browsers and programs would run really really slow... and unresponsive.... Very often, it would even take a minute or so or more for it to respond to control+alt+delete....

Then, as I was taking a shower, I had this smart idea.... it is as if my head is running dial up while other people's head operates on gigabyte networks...

You see... you could try to push as much information as possible but my dial-up connection could not receive so much information... as a result things run extra slow.... packets might get lost as well...

Sort of like trying to watch a movie on youtube using dial-up connection on an obsolete computer... To begin with, the computer already runs slow due to reduced memory available... the browser runs slow... With rich media that involves large files... everything just keep on getting slower... until finally... there is a system crash... and I sit there with a brain freeze... that kind of freeze when it doesn't even respond to control+alt+delete... 8-O lol 8-X

Now I think I understand what it might feel like to be a program like a browser when it has to run a lot of excessive codes... this is, I guess, the reason coding is so important and why it has to be succinct... Otherwise, it will have to spend extra amount of work interpreting irrelevant codes, such as those extra codes written by Microsoft, before it finally finds something to execute...

It is very unfortunate that what is negligible overload for better programs on better machines could result in the stalling of my processor. 8-O lol

Interestingly, it is like my head was getting an "if" commend... after waiting for a long time for the "then".... it can't hold the "if" part anymore and decided to hang..... Or, this might be how the old PCs feel on NT when we see the blue screen of death... 8-O lol 8-X

The key point... I am dial up and you are gigabyte network... Please refrain from sending large files such as multimedia files until the system resources get unlocked a bit more... 8-O lol sigh

Can't wait for my meeting with my shrink to free some memories up.... lol sigh

No comments: