Saturday, September 13, 2008

Active directory

During my job interview, this question came up...

"Do you know Active Directory?"

I thought about it and replied with something like... "I heard about it but I don't know what it is."

Afterwards, I looked it up online...

A I was reading online the following...

An 'Active Directory' (AD) structure is a hierarchical framework of objects. The objects fall into three broad categories: resources (e.g., printers), services (e.g., email), and users (user accounts and groups).

This boss of mine came over and asked what I was doing....

I replied, "I am reading about Active Directory."

He said, "I have a tutorial about Active Directory."

Since all that I need was to get some basic sense about the technology, I told him, "Thanks but maybe later."

Yet, in no time, he came back to me with a big book and handed it to me...

I went... "Oh, my god... that's a huge book..."

Now that I got the book in my hand....

I went through the table of contents and located the chapter with the term "Active Directory" in the title.

So I scanned through it and thought.... umm.... sounds familiar...

Then, I continued to the next chapter and the next till the end of the book.... or flipping through page after page....

Essentially, what I realized after the first chapter was....

I have done the majority of tasks in them chapters before (e.g., join computers into domains, creating user account, assigning privileges to accounts, terminal services, VPN, etc).... and, for certain topics, they were even topics I discussed in the "Internet Technologies" course I taught...

Except for... I just don't know what "Active Directory" is... 8-O lol

I guess, this is sort like... I experience the thing called looking at the big bird on the tree... while what I did not know was... what is a hawk? 8-O lol

No comments: