Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Annona atemoya Hort 鳳梨釋迦

Today I tried out 鳳梨釋迦 (Annona atemoya Hort) for the first time...

It is sweat like 釋迦 but can't be easily peel off like 釋迦... At the same time, tasting sort of like guava...  It is so huge that... half of it is almost enough for the entire meal.

Both mama and I thought this is another invention of the almighty Taiwanese farmers....

It was not until when I was looking up the English translation of 鳳梨釋迦 did I realize that... 鳳梨釋迦 (Annona atemoya Hort) is the hybrid of cherimola and Annona squmosa and it was developed in Florida way back in 1908.

Don't recall that I have seen this fruit in the US... unless...

Possibility 1... I thought what I saw was ordinary 釋迦...
Possibility 2... sort of like possibility 1... you don't see what you don't know...

Then, even more strange revelation came out as I was looking for the translation of the traditional 釋迦.... for the past 30-40 years, I thought 釋迦 is a native product of Taiwan... only to realize just now... it actually is 阿斗子... imported to Taiwan from Latin America by the Dutch... 8-O

No comments: