Monday, August 4, 2008

Spasm and cognition

On my way to the doctor's office today, this thought occurred to me...

"What the hell is spasm?"

The matter of the fact is that... as time went by, as more and more people considered my condition to be abnormally serious for too prolong a time....

This thought came up from my heart more and more frequent while turning to be my darkest fear...

Since spasm is something experiential-- more like procedural kind of knowledge, what if what I have experienced all these times NOT what they meant by spasm--- well documented in the declarative literature?

So, as I walked under the sunshine today, this question emerged from the bottom of my heart (again, around the location of my chest...)....

"What is spasm and-- all that I have experienced--- are they spasm?"

I felt the urge to raise this question, which could be the most basic construct associated with all my experiences.

It is the same kind of urge I had, when, many years after my studies about human cognition, one day, in class, I just had to ask my advisor this dumb question---

"What is cognition?"

(My advisor's answer was simple and straight forward, "How people think." Unfortunately, apparently, it was not yet time for me to understand his answer. It took many more years until the retarded yours truly to come to some understanding about why the answer to "What is cognition?" is "How people think.")

So I raised the question....

The simple answer is... "Yes."

The extended answer included comments concerning how such phenomena observed by the "experiencees" could be explained by the theories of Western and Eastern medicine...

Essentially, in my condition, the apparent structural damages to my body can't quite justify the degree of severity as reported by me. However, the theory of 氣 seems to have a better goodness of fit in explaining the spastic phenomena.

Well, looking back, I might have asked my orthopedic doctor in New York and he might have told me "yes" as well... The question, though, remained to be a question darker than a black hole.... because despite of his confirmation then, I still could not shake this thought that... psychosomatization might account for all observations seemly abnormal....

Yet, today, for the first time in my physically disabled life, I found relief in that simple answer-- "yes."

Perhaps, it has something to do with the goodness of fit in the theory of 氣... (ok, are there every bias-free research? lol)

Perhaps, it has something to do with how the construct of psychosomatization remained to be a black box to me while, with 氣, declaratively--- now a mental model is formed....

Two additional things I learned today....

For the first time in my life did I realize that what you call spasm in English is what it called 痙攣 in Chinese... speaking of 邗單學步 lol... oops....

Second, the implications of cognitive theories such as mental models in the treatment of spasticity.... and, geez... now I know why I have to do all that I have done so far-- sort of--- through this posting.... 8-O lol

Such concludes my 99.9999…% conversion analysis of spasm and cognition… 8-O lol

No comments: