Saturday, October 2, 2010

Is "conversion disorder" a "psychotic episode"?

Somebody came to my site with a google search term... is "conversion disorder" a "psychotic episode"?

Can't answer that question...

To begin with, what is a psychotic episode?  I am still psychotic since I got discharged from the psychiatric ward in Feb. 2008... The condition had gone up and down till my present 12.50 mg seroquel days...

Have I been in a psychotic episode for the past 8 years since the symptoms have never gone away?

Or, a psychotic episode is a state within which one's state is at the instutionalizable kinda grade?

Secondly... what is conversion disorder?

To be honest, I can't tell you and no experts could really prove that I have "conversion disorder. .. not even that neurologist who started the entire conversion disorder conversation...

It is and have only been a hypothesis... not to mention that... in a lot of cases where the patients were diagnosed with conversion disorder because of the lack of physiological basis, it was found later that the physiological basis did exist... just not identified.   Check out some of the textbooks on the topic of conversion disorder and you shall be able to find some references.

Back again to the question...

Is "conversion disorder" a "psychotic episode"?

I don't know and I don't know what them experts would tell you.

One thing I do know... if you are psychotic, psychosomatic symptoms can come as part of the package.  8-O lol sigh

No comments: