Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Scheduled change in meds

I got to my visit with my psychiatrist late today due to one of the side effect of switching to Risperdal.... sleep interruption.

Getting to the meeting 20 minutes late was not what I had intended but it happened.

I walked into the room, putting the blame on the side effect of the drug...

My psychiatrist said something like, "Won't you be early instead..."

Well, I got up after 6-7 hours of sleep and could not fall back asleep. After noticing some of my cold like symptoms such as sneezing, I decided to take an Alleve and that put me down.

By the time I woke up from my vivid dream (another side effect of the drug), I was about to be late and, this round, the engine of my head would not want to start.

Since we had not much time left and the major issue to address is the meds, I essentially projected in my head the itemized side effects in powerpoint format as listed in previous postings (the clinical implications of private or public blogs).

Then, we moved on to figuring out the issue of...

To Risperdal or not to Risperdal.
That's the question

Plan A: Lower Risperdal to 3 mg and depako to 1000 mg (both lowered)

Plan B: Bring back Seroquel and phase out Risperdal while controlling for the dosage of Depako (clinical trial here.... lol 8-X lol)

I chose plan B.

There are still cognitive side effect such as the decreased working memory and difficulties in encoding new information. However, when compared to Seroquel, the cognitive side effects seem to be less prominent.

In my much younger and more courageous age, I might have opted to test out plan A and try to overcome the remaining of the side effects... except for...

I am done with my share of being my own big lab rat... lol :-O

Let me go back to my ordinary abnormality and let the engine starts what however rate it should.

Let the slowness and sleepiness, at least, temporarily, prune them snapses no longer so very useful to me since all I need now is common sense, in addition to people I love, people who, me, love-- including that stupid husband of mine who still does not know it is me he is searching for lol, a full-time job.

In addition to the dosage I have been on all these time, I will be taking an additional 50 mg of Seroquel, which could serve as a sedative to at least give me more uninterrupted sleep so as to destress the stress imposed by the anxiety about not being able to sleep (I really love run-on sentences and guess this is why I don't really like writing academic paper... lol) and keeping my neurotransmitters happily resting in club meds... wearing their sun glasses and drinking their strawberry margaritas... lol

In the mean while, let me get back to clean my room...

My cleaning freak sister arriving tonight and the first thing you could do to destress is to walk right into the eye of the storm and take care of it... I guess... and... sometimes... lol

No comments: