Tuesday, April 8, 2008

The cultural perspective

http://ratologyreloaded.blogspot.com/2008/04/fear-and-harm.html

http://ratologyreloaded.blogspot.com/2008/04/footenote-about-fear-and-harm.html

I just want to share with you that concepts such as the interdependent/independent self-construal or collective/individualist cultural norms and alike would be an interesting perspective we could use to see these two postings (and some others).

Although I grew up in a more collectivist culture (Taiwan), I spent my adult life in north America where the cultural norm is supposed to be more individualistic. In other words, taking a dual-self perspective, both of my interdependent and independent self-construals should be fairly developed.

However, what I am observing in my thinking, I find my interdependent self-construal to be much more dominant when my mental health condition is in a worse shape than when I am just ordinarily abnormal.

On the other hand, the constant desire to living in the mountain, caring about no one and nothing but myself seem to be fairly independent of me (unless my interpretation of the concept is incorrect).... sort of interesting....

Since there is no pre- and post- test using a valid instrument to measure the change of my degree independent/interdependent self-construal (or concepts alike), the only thing I could tell you is that...

Based on my personal feeling, I do have stronger feeling that my happiness and suffering are dependent on those surrounding me (those who I love and care about).

No comments: