Friday, April 4, 2008

Differences and similarities

When I went to see my shrink this week, I told him that, nowadays, I would wake up in the morning feeling the same degree of the "head-fail-to-start" kinda feeling as what I would feel in the evening.

It seemed like the contrast was much bigger when the dosage of Depakote was going from 1500 mg to 1000 mg or 750 mg... when compared to going from 750 mg to 500 mg.

My shrink thought it didn't make sense and I agreed with him.

Essentially, the differences in the processing speed of my head between night and day might be larger when the dosage was higher and when I just come out of the hospital than nowadays.

However, just because the differences are bigger doesn't mean the speed at which my head could run in the night when the dosage was much higher was faster than the processing speed for nowadays...

It is because the measurements have been derived using different starting points and scales.

I think what I want to say sort of sound like what Tversky had put in her classic paper (although I am not quite sure how similar our ideas are... lol)...

"changes in context or frame of reference correspond to changes in the measure of the feature space"
---Amos Tversky titled "Features of Similarity."

No comments: