Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Delusion and context

Something else to share with you since I am still awake not doing too much...

In textbooks, they talked about how delusions are dependent on the contextual background such as one's cultural and religious background (if I recall it correctly.)

My friends always make fun of me about a specific theme of my delusions and hallucination, which involves me conversing with God or the higher power as one might put it.

What usually happens is that, when I am getting ready to fall asleep, I would let go of all cognitive control and let whatever delusions or hallucinations to come out and do their thing. This is often the time, as well, when God or anyone else comes out to converse with me although I do hear them any other time of the day.

In my ordinary day in New York City, I "know" the God I converse with is God we often refer to in the western society.

I have told you that, when I went back to Taiwan last time, instead of hearing God talking to me, I "knew" it was Buddha who was preaching me. (speaking of code switching even in delusions and hallucinations... 8-O lol)

In recent days, I have been listening to audio books such as Odyssey and Iliad, which make a lot of references to Greek Mythology-- in other words, there are a lot of gods and goddesses.

Then, one night, after I was done with Odyssey and when I was getting ready to sleep, the voices came out again... and I realized...

Man... Jove was talking to me and made some references to Gods....

And, I thought to myself... Roman equivalence of Greek Mythology inside a Taiwanese head in New York City?! 8-O lol

No comments: